The Minnesota Second Chance Coalition advocates for fair and responsible laws, policies, and practices that allow those who have committed crimes to redeem themselves, fully support themselves and their families, and contribute to their communities to their full potential. The Coalition supports reforms that:
1. ENSURE THAT EVERYONE, REGARDLESS OF MEANS OR BACKGROUND, IS TREATED EQUALLY AND FAIRLY THROUGH EVERY PART OF THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM.
2. MAXIMIZE THE ABILITY OF EX-OFFENDERS TO ACCESS EMPLOYMENT, HOUSING, AND EDUCATION, AND TO BECOME FULLY CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS OF THEIR COMMUNITIES.
3. ENSURE THAT JUVENILE OFFENDERS ARE NOT LIMITED IN THEIR ABILITY TO BECOME SUCCESSFUL ADULTS.
4. FULLY DIAGNOSE AND TREAT MENTAL ILLNESS AND CHEMICAL ADDICTION.
5. LIMIT THE POTENTIALLY ADVERSE IMPACT OF THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM ON CHILDREN AND FAMILIES.